Guitar respray advice - please!!!

Ask for technique advice or show people a new exercise you made

Guitar respray advice - please!!!

Postby barryman » Mon May 09, 2011 7:57 pm

I have just got hold of a great playing bass guitar. It's very comfy to play and I love it. What I'm not mad about is the colour. It is a very nice brown antique burst finish with a gloss top lacquer but I've got other wood-y guitars so want a change.. What I'm thinking of doing is respraying it something like Fender Arctic or Vintage White.

My question is this: I'm a lazy sod and I want to avoid stripping it as the finish is really flawless at the moment. Can I simply respray 5 or six coats over existing finish. Or, would I definitely need to spray over with a few coats of primer, then paint, then relacqer.

What's the easiest way that will give a decent end result.

Cheers
barryman

Re: Guitar respray advice - please!!!

Postby cob » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:24 pm

You could do that. You could also take a sharpie and just color the whole thing that way.

Painting a guitar is a procedural thing, not a semantic thing. This means there is a definite right way to do it. Sand the finish off, primer, primer, paint, paint, laquer, laquer, laquer. There's a lot more to it than that but, I don't paint my own guitars for that very reason xD You're not the only lazy guitarist out there haha.

There is no easy way that will make it look like you want it to. If you wanted to be lazy, you could file off the lacquer only and prime, paint. But, I'm not sure if the paints used for guitar will stick properly to a plasticized finish. Either way, I'd recommend doing it right and not having to worry about it. As much as it sucks.
cob

Return to Lessons