Yngwie's fretboard

Wanna talk about your favourite bands, guitarists? Any music accepted in here

Yngwie's fretboard

Postby ONEbpm » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi all,

I was on another site some time ago and the subject was scallopped fretboards. Two opiniions were voiced. I was of the opinion that scallopped fretboards are easier to play because the string never touches the wood. The other person said they were harder to play and it's done to make bending easier. They didn't expand on WHY they're more difficult to play, but I gave him that they're more difficult to play in tune. I don't see why anyone would do that to a fretboard to make life more difficult. Any thoughts?
J.P.

Give us this day our daily shred...
ONEbpm

Re: Yngwie's fretboard

Postby blank » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:57 am

Other than being a hard core Malmsteen fan (black leather pants and white boots included), I don't see a need to play with a scalloped fretboard, period.

The lack of friction allows you to have more control over bends, but because you need to have the right amount of pressure applied you can make the note go "out of tune". I have heard it takes dedication to play on a scalloped fretboard, and I do give kudos to those who play them. I do believe Steve Vai had a few of his higher frets scalloped for easier soloing, but that would make it a (partial?) scallop.
I bestow upon ye', Axecalibur
blank
Global Moderator

Postby TheWannabeMusician » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Either I made a major err of judgement and thought them scalloped when they weren't, I didn't like playing with scalloped frets at all. It made playing worse for me. Might've just been an awful job at scalloping the frets by the designer though
TheWannabeMusician

Postby ONEbpm » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:04 pm

blank wrote:Other than being a hard core Malmsteen fan (black leather pants and white boots included).

Oh no you didn't! Really? Pants and all? :shock:

After Rising force and Marching Out, I kind of lost interest. I bought Trilogy on vinly but it skipped and I was on vacation when I bought it. I started with Black Star, learned the into and the verse/chorus. It was transcribed in Guitar Player years ago...I never got past the first few measures of the solo. This was in the days of cassette tapes...who had the time? I played the beginning of Evil Eye perfectly never realizing the it was over dubbed. So I ended up playing both parts at the same time...it's a stretch, but it can be done. My favorite Malmsteen work, believe it or not,was with Alcatrazz...Jet to Jet is a bad tune! I like Hiroshima too. Graham Bonnet had a hell of a voice, but dressed like Miami Vice...
J.P.

ONEbpm

Postby blank » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:49 pm

Alcatrazz is pretty beasty, but I don't include them in my favorites.

I have the Malmsteen Discography and the gems I find myself listening most to are Rising Force and Genesis.

Oh no you didn't! Really? Pants and all?

Haha, I hope you don't think I wear that. Not even if I was alive for that scene O.O. Although I did wear a brown Jedi robe for halloween and played Elvis Presely tunes for people in exchange for candy :lol:
I bestow upon ye', Axecalibur
blank
Global Moderator

Postby Emerald » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:28 pm

Check out this guy he does the early Yngwie/Alcatrazz stuff pretty well amongst other guitarists.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SATSUMA3042 ... i1UJ0gfIRk
I had a 2004 YJM Strat I ordered from the factory, it is actually quite difficult to chord properly, ect as a very light touch is required. My issue was that the fretboards were 9.5" radius, unlike the original Duck and Yngwie's other stage Strats, which are the vintage radius 7.25", which makes for easier chording in the first positions, it is easier to bend and vibrato really well with the scallops, as all you are touching is the huge frets with the strings.
But it is a common misnomer that it is easier to play faster on a scalloped board, not so says I...
Here are my sad last shots as I packed her up for shipping:
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/ ... bye%20YJM/
Emerald
No one knows the reasons why.
You lived each day like there was no tomorrow.
You spent those years living on time you borrowed.
And in your eyes, all I could see was sorrow.

http://www.vintagewashburn.com
http://www.neilcarter.org/
Emerald

Postby ONEbpm » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:55 pm

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... temID=8100

One of Yngwie's most memorable recordings. :shock:
J.P.

ONEbpm

Return to Artists