Fun with theory and stuff

Ask for technique advice or show people a new exercise you made

Fun with theory and stuff

Postby monkeygrip » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:17 pm

hope to have some stimulating threads here - I love sharing the little I know to guys who appreciate the little things, I always get a buzz off even the most basic lessons people share ...even if it just reminds me of a shape I forgot or a sequence thats fun ....lookin forward to your postys ...I'll share some too

Try this
just really basic harmony ....Cmj Dmi Emi Fmj Gmj Am Bdim

any arp we record (triad arppeggio) we can miss one and play the next one and it sounds like we know what were doing with harmonising notes
Cmj= Em
Dmi=Fmj
I think you gert the drift .....l8ters :mrgreen:
Ibanez and variaxe , bossgt10 laney Vc100 and gagets - My website http://www.shredknowledge.com My music http://www.myspace.com/gravestoneroller
monkeygrip

Re: Fun with theory and stuff

Postby shredaholic » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:21 pm

awesome! its great to have you here, welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
Richard Baines, creator of Shredaholic.com and Pleximods.com.
shredaholic
Site Admin

Postby ONEbpm » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:37 am

Hi all,

After posting that I change pickups while practicing, I thought maybe I'd post one of these long exercises I came up with, where I may lose track if I don't use different tones. I got this idea from the Guitar Grimoire series. They showed diagrams of diatonic scales with three notes per string. I decided to move away from the box shapes and concentrate on 3 note per string scales.

On the low E string, I'll pick D-U-D, switch to the A string and repeat one string after another. Once I make it to the high E string, I reverse it U-D-U then repeat on the B string...etc.

I use fingerings 2-3-1, 2-1-3, 1-3-2,3-1-2, 3-2-1 and finally 1-2-3 I use a metronome and usually do this in my second hour...which makes it easy to forget where I"m at lol.

J.P.
J.P.

Give us this day our daily shred...
ONEbpm

Postby ONEbpm » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:44 am

Me again,

I just tried to explain this to a friend of mine who has been playiing guitar for years...I never knew he didn't know box pentatonics. Kinda does his own thing. Anyway if you use this shape:

Let's say for an Eminor on the 7th fret, it's very easy to do two handed tapping with this shape, all the notes are on the 12th fret. I practice tapping in all positons, but this one is my "OMG! I'm lost" positon...

J.P.
J.P.

Give us this day our daily shred...
ONEbpm

Postby cob » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Theory Trick: Tritone substitution.

Any note in a chord or any chord can be substituted for the note/root a tritone away and the chord will be reshaped and revoiced to be richer. Subbing the root creates the chord a third above, third creates a 7th chord, fifth creates a ninth etc.

The quality of each chord depends on the quality of the chord you're replacing. Nifty trick to create richer harmonies, easier fingerings with similar tonal qualities, and color your song.

Also, French, German, and Italian Augmented 6 chords sound completely epic but, i haven't found a way to apply them outside of classical four-part. Haven't tried...
cob

Return to Lessons