Eric Clapton overated?

Non-guitar related discussion

Eric Clapton overated?

Postby ONEbpm » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:32 pm

I think EC is overated. Yeah, I know...no one agrees, but if Jeff Beck could sing, I think he would have more status outside the guitar community. I'm not to crazy about Satriani either. There's the ball people, run with it.

J.P.
J.P.

Give us this day our daily shred...
ONEbpm

Re: Eric Clapton overated?

Postby TheWannabeMusician » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Eric Clapton isn't the most technical player out there, but certainly worth listening to and if my memory serves me right, he's great at bend-pentatonic licks.

Satriani is much more difficult to play than you would think. Besides being fast in some cases, it's also pretty difficult to play slow. I had more difficulties with "Always with me, Always with you" than with most fast stuff.
Plus, his songs are great, looked apon from a music theory perspective.

And last but not least, Satriani can use pretty much any effect and make it sound cool.

Oh, and Satriani taught Steve Vai and Tom Morello and a couple of other famous guitarists. Then agian, I'm not really fond of Tom Morello's playing, but Steve Vai... come on :P
TheWannabeMusician

Postby blank » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:39 pm

I don't care for Clapton, or Satriani. In fact I think Satriani is more over-rated than Clapton. Funny though, that we talk about over-exposed guitarist rather than under-exposed ones :lol:
I bestow upon ye', Axecalibur
blank
Global Moderator

Postby ONEbpm » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Hey all,

Before we get into learning other peoples solos, I don't do that anymore. Nothing wrong with it to a point. I use to do it with everything, I stopped with Yngwie, learning off a cassette tape. Great for the ear, but it takes a very long time to get a solo down...time better spent doing my own thing. I read an interview years ago where Yngwie said, when asked about what advice he'd give to guitar players: " stop listening to guitar players, stop listening to me...don't do what I do, do something else..." That stuck. So I may practice technique, but I don't transcibe solos.

Satch may be difficult to play, but I never heard him play anything that made me want to sit down and learn it note for note. One of the things that turned me off about Satch was he has a VERY processed tone. I wonder if he had an acoustic release what would it sound like? I remember reading about him when he was on the cover of Guitar Player years ago. I bought the Surfin' album (yes...I said album) listened to it a handful of times and tossed it aside...he was VERY hyped at the time in guitar circles. At that time, I felt there were much better players but he was hyped based on who he taught.

I went to see him with Eric Johnson opening for him. I heard about 4 or 5 songs and walked out. He was doing this "grab the whammy bar and pull up with a delay" thing in just about every tune! Okay fine, call it a signature move. I left because he did something simple, (a power chord maybe?) then made a fist, gritted his teeth and nodded...and a cluster of people up front were raising their fists and screaming...it was then I realized I was in a church and people were worshiping him. I had to leave before they handed me a pamphlet.

I got the G3 DVD in Tokyo and had the same impression. I just wasn't floored...but Vai, holy shit! That's a different story. I've seen Clapton, Page, Nugent, Yngwie, Steve Howe all left me inspired. I just don't get Satch...or Gary Huey for that matter.

As far as under-exposed guitarists, Johnny Winter, Guthrie Goven, Shawn Lane to a point, Danny Gatton. Shit, the best players in the world are probably sitting in their basement playing every style.
J.P.

ONEbpm

Postby blank » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:47 am

Govan +1

That guy can phrase a MEAN salad.
I bestow upon ye', Axecalibur
blank
Global Moderator

Postby TheWannabeMusician » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:59 pm

What Guthrie Govan does is both sick in technical terms as musical

But for some reason, I don't like it. That's just a matter of taste though
TheWannabeMusician

Postby ONEbpm » Sun May 02, 2010 2:36 am

TheWannabeMusician wrote:What Guthrie Govan does is both sick in technical terms as musical

But for some reason, I don't like it. That's just a matter of taste though

Until I saw him on YouTube, I never heard of him. Then I started hearing about his instructional books. The only Guthrie Goven CD I own is the one that came with the advanced book. I have no clue what his music sounds like on CD, but between that one book and the Speed Mechanics book, I've learned a lot
J.P.

ONEbpm

Postby TheWannabeMusician » Mon May 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Ok, I'd like to revise my previous statement on govan

I guess I have only heard bad examples of him, I thought he only played the clean stuff, which was sick but I didn't like it. Now I'm listening to "Fives". The phrasing of this guy is unbelievable :shock:
TheWannabeMusician

Postby ONEbpm » Mon May 17, 2010 3:22 pm

TheWannabeMusician wrote:Ok, I'd like to revise my previous statement on govan

I guess I have only heard bad examples of him, I thought he only played the clean stuff, which was sick but I didn't like it. Now I'm listening to "Fives". The phrasing of this guy is unbelievable :shock:

Dude! Boy a freak! I just faved that vid on Youtube. I like the way he stopped dead on the tapping thing and the sliding down into notes. Once I'm done the book and vid lessons, I'll write up a review if there's a place on this site for it (:cough:cough: RICH? :cough:cough:) Other than that, some other titles I've gone through are: Steve Morse hot licks 1&2, Jennifer Batton REH hotlines two handed tapping, Dave Celletano-Flying Fingers (picking), Steve Lynch- The right Touch (tapping)

Other's that I've not finished yet:
Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar
Al DiMeola DVD
Danny Gatton
Paul Gilbert
Micheal Angelo Batio
John Petrucci
Eric Johnson
Steve Morse
J.P.

ONEbpm

Postby Far_beyond_the_fun » Fri May 28, 2010 8:01 am

Im agreeing with you guys. Clapton was good for his time but now? No way. Satch also. He is all hype. Great guitarist, but extremely overrated.
Far_beyond_the_fun

Return to General Board