Who Got You Into Shred?

Wanna talk about your favourite bands, guitarists? Any music accepted in here

Who Got You Into Shred?

Postby shredaholic » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:42 am

For me it was hearing Yngwie Malmsteen's first album, and then Images by Cacophony. What about you guys?
Richard Baines, creator of Shredaholic.com and Pleximods.com.
shredaholic
Site Admin

Re: Who Got You Into Shred?

Postby TheWannabeMusician » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:28 am

Jani Liimatainen. After I'd first heard Sonata Arctica (Wolf and Raven song) I discovered shred and I discovered that playing guitar was actually fun. Before that I always played, I dunno, because I felt obligued to or somethin'. Anyways, that really triggered me into practising and liking metal and all that stuff. For a long time I thought he was the best guitarist ever, but now my view is a bit more... nuanced? Now there's not "the best" guitarist, but great guitarists and a couple of favorites :)
TheWannabeMusician

Postby blank » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Malmsteen opened the doors of "shred" to me, but never got me into it, I'd say I wanted to shred after hearing "Second Heat" from Racer X.
I bestow upon ye', Axecalibur
blank
Global Moderator

Postby ONEbpm » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Hey,

I'd been playing for decades before shredding. I guess it was because I forced myself to NOT play guitar while I attended college (six years or so) so I could concentrate on the books. Lucky if I picked it up once a month and even then, for only a half hour or so.

A couple of years ago, a few friends got together and played at a biker bar for the hell of it. I have this friend from Germany that happened to be visiting at that time and he totally embarrased me that night. There was a time back in the day that I seemed to be just a step behind this guy...then I took time off and had a rude awakening lol. I decided to put more time into practicing. Other things like not passing an audition because I wasn't "versatile enough". I't was an audition for a classic rock band and I got the set list the night before!

I went out a got me the Paul Gilbert Terrifying Guitar DVD and it was the first time I'd ever saw a shredder play a lick at mortal speed and then speed it up gradually. Something clicked and I thought: hey...this CAN be done. One of the benefits of practicing shredding is that now I seem to hear fast licks more accurately when someone else is playing them.

J.P.

P.S. I hadn't posted in a while b/c I accidently either erased the cookie or logged out, and new posts were not showing up as unread. I actually thought the site died until I looked at the dates for the most recent posts. DUH!
J.P.

Give us this day our daily shred...
ONEbpm

Postby TheWannabeMusician » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Yes, practise in Shred really improves playing in other styles as well, probaply because most technical "restrictions" are removed. I've been pretty into Jazz last year, and I wouldn't have been able to do it if I hadn't already reached speed levels beyond the ones required for Jazz, so to speak. And I guess the effect goes the other way as well: Jazz makes you think more about what you play. Not just licks and scale runs, but musical phrases. Lately I've tried to do "intelligent" licks fast and improvised, and it's tough, but it's cool to see how gaining skill in one area improves your skills in other area's as well, and shredding is one of the most important ones, I guess, because it removes those "technical restrictions".

Forgive me if I sound too much like someone being filosophical about his hobby or job :P
TheWannabeMusician

Postby cobhcnihon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:01 am

Malmsteen got me interested in shred, then Alexi Laiho kicked the door down. Been a huge heavy metal fan ever since.
cobhcnihon

Postby L.A » Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 pm

steve vai got me into shred as far as i can remember!
L.A

Postby blank » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:43 am

Malmsteen, I remember watching his instructional videos when I was 12 or so. I hadn't even begun to realise shred was a style lol, it wasn't until I got into techy metal that I was interested in playing that stuff. So Gilbert and Muenzner gave me that push.

Oh, I'm back btw :D
I bestow upon ye', Axecalibur
blank
Global Moderator

Postby cob » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Metal as a whole but specifically, Petrucci is the one who got me into shredding and seven stringing. I also always dug Al Di Meola but he influenced me musically more than technically
cob

Return to Artists